Saturday, August 6, 2016

Sharing Web Resources


Hello Class, I hope all is well with you’ll. As you’ll know the web site that interested me the most is http://www.dec-sped.org/#!dec-recommended-practices/t8p3w. Reason being I want to expand my knowledge on working with children who have disabilities. Over the years I have worked mostly with children who have ADHD, and I have to admit because I am human it can be a challenge working with children who have behavior issues. This site has given me some very good information so far on working with children who not only have ADHD but others disabilities as well. The section that I decided to study and explore further is the resource section. In the resource section, in this section I looked more at the DEC recommended practices. DEC recommended practices are DEC Recommended Practices are a DEC initiative that bridges the gap between research and practice, offering guidance to parents and professionals who work with young children who have or are at risk for developmental delays or disabilities. The Recommended Practices were first developed by DEC in 1991 to provide guidance to the relatively new field of early intervention/early childhood special education (Division for Early Childhood 2014). The DEC Recommended Practices were developed to provide guidance to practitioners and families about the most effective ways to improve the learning outcomes and promote the development of young children, birth through age 5, who have or are at-risk for developmental delays or disabilities (Division for Early Childhood 2014).

 Image result for children with disabilities

The Recommended Practices are also intended to be used by individuals working across a variety of early childhood settings providing services to young children who have or at-risk for developmental delays or disabilities (Division for Early Childhood 2014). This section also has another section that actually gives examples of recommended practices, which are very helpful for not only teachers like me but parents as well. A lot of times we hear about different practices or techniques that can be used when working with children who have disabilities. Along with learning about those techniques examples of them are always greatly appreciated. For instance recommendation A7 states Practitioners obtain information about the child’s skills in daily activities, routines, and environments such as, home, center, and community. An example of this might be a family reporting that their child who is very quiet in the preschool setting, may talk a lot at home. So the early educator might ask the parents if they can capture this on video if possible. I would never think to ask that of parents, even though I have been in this situation many times before with parents. I can’t tell you’ll how many times I have done assessments or screenings on students and when going over the results parents might have disagreed with the results. I kindly explain to them that I believe that their child may do whatever at home, but when I am testing at school I have to go by what they do for me. Most of the time results change after students are more comfortable with me and the classroom. There are many more recommended practices to choose from so feel free to visit the website if you would like to learn more. Everything on this website is geared towards programs fulfilling all the needs of their recipients, so I would say all of the information is geared towards equity and excellence in the early childhood field.  

 

Reference

Division for Early Childhood. (2014). DEC recommended practices in early intervention/early childhood special education 2014. Retrieved from http://www.dec-sped.org/recommendedpractices

 
Image result for children with disabilities
(https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.explorability.org%2Fimages%2F2.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.explorability.org%2Fportdiscovery-pactpartnership.php&docid=0nnNcNhA6l4sFM&tbnid=Rz_BpdQVnHXP-M%3A&w=333&h=355&bih=677&biw=1438&ved=0ahUKEwjtkJirk67OAhVFxCYKHWLZDoUQMwg4KAQwBA&iact=mrc&uact=8)
Image result for children with disabilities
(https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.devonsafeguardingchildren.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2FWorkersand-Volunteers19240570.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.devonsafeguardingchildren.org%2Flatest-news-updates%2Fdscb-spotlight-on-children-with-disabilities%2F&docid=frFfrVRUaDYcfM&tbnid=fOo6rKet1fI1GM%3A&w=849&h=565&bih=677&biw=1438&ved=0ahUKEwjtkJirk67OAhVFxCYKHWLZDoUQMwhDKA8wDw&iact=mrc&uact=8)

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I love the suggestions you posted about asking parents to video tape their child doing a specific behavior at home. I will definitely be using that idea in my kindergarten class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I thought that was an great idea as well!

      Delete
  2. Leah,
    I agree it can be difficult to discuss assessments with parents especially when what parents have in mind about their child and what they are doing in the classroom does not align. The tips that were given are helpful. Children with disabilities is something that I am constantly trying to learn more about. Thank you for the information this week .

    ReplyDelete